Sunday, August 4, 2019

Travel Log - Washington, DC

I went to Washington DC as a child with my family for summer vacation one summer.  I never went back and I assumed that I never would.  Living in Harrisburg, PA now gave me the opportunity to go back with Brent for a day trip. 



Parking was a major concern and we did some research the night before to find a place to park that was reasonably priced and close to the area we wanted to visit.  Having only one day meant that we had to be specific about what we would see.  There's enough there to see to spend weeks.  We found parking under a Holiday Inn and paid $18 for the day.  We were two blocks from the museums we wanted to see.

We also filled up with gas locally the night before because we were unsure what the gas station situation would be.  We took breakfast and ate it in the car on the way.  We also took protein bars, peanut butter crackers and waters in a small backpack to eat during the day.  The only food we bought was coffee for the return trip.

Brent picked one museum he really wanted to see and I picked one.  As it turned out, we got to visit those and two others.  We went to The museum of American history, the museum of American Indians, the museum of Air and Space and the museum of art.

Security is serious at some of the museums and very lax at others and we have no idea why.  We were patient at the ones where it took more time to get through security.  The wait was well worth it.  We weren't supposed to be able to take food in but they never said anything about our snacks.  Probably because we never ate any of them inside the museums.  There were food trucks everywhere, so getting food there wouldn't have been an issue, but we didn't know that ahead of time.

I didn't take a lot of photos. I wanted to spend my time enjoying the exhibits, not focusing a camera.  So, I tried to take just a couple of photos in each museum.

 The Indian museum was our first to visit.  I was very disappointed.  The exhibits were very political.  The museum wasn't what I thought it would be.  I would liked to have seen more history on the tribes themselves.  I would recommend skipping this museum if you are short on time.

The Air and Space museum was out next stop.  There was a very long line to get in and security was slow.  The exhibits were very interesting and we really enjoyed our time at this museum.



We then went to the museum of American history.  This one was my favorite.  There was so much to see; we could have spent a week at just this museum.  I enjoyed all of it.

Lastly, we went to the Museum of Art.  This was at the end of the day so we didn't have time to look at anything for more than just a moment.  We saw as much as we could, but there was so much we missed.  I really enjoyed this museum too.  I could have stood for hours at some of the paintings.


Overall we have a great time.  It was a lot of walking; 6 1/2 hours of constant walking.  We were exhausted but satisfied that we squeezed every bit of goodness out of the time we had.




No comments:

Post a Comment