Friday, July 19, 2019

Vegan After 50 - What to Eat

I feel like I'm a pretty average fifty-five year old.  I enjoy cooking but I don't want to spend all my time in the kitchen.  I lean toward very simple dishes with few ingredients.

Here are some of the dishes I ate this week:

Green smoothies.  I love these.  They are sugar, salt, oil free.  Just fruit, greens, flax seeds and almond milk.  Very low in calories and high in nutrition.  This one has banana, pineapple, unsweetened coconut, spinach and unsweetened almond milk.


Salads.  I love salads and I try to load them with lots of nutrition.  Most of my salads have greens, beans, onions, tomatoes, beets, dried fruit and a low or no calorie vegan dressing.  On this salad I topped it with some vegan chicken fingers.

Toast topped with natural peanut butter, flax seeds and banana.  I love peanut butter.  I think I could eat it on almost anything.  Although it offers a healthy fat and good protein it's also concentrated calories so I try to eat it in moderation.

Spaghetti squash steamed in the microwave and topped with marinara sauce and mixed veggies.  Using a vegetable as a replacement for pasta is a great way to increase nutrition and decrease calories.

Toast topped with vegan cheese and sauteed tomatoes and spinach.  I sprinkled on some onion and garlic powder.

Wild rice, green beans and vegan turkey patties.  I will often cook up a batch of rice in my pressure cooker and eat it all week with various vegetables.

Once a week we eat a meal out.  This week we ate at WhichWich.  It's a sandwich shop that offers a few vegan options.  This one is black bean pattie, hummus, avocado, cole slaw.

So there you are.  Good, hearty meals that simple but nutritious.  More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment