Saturday, October 28, 2017

THE SIMPLE LIFE - Vegan Potato Hominy Chowder

This is the kind of food I want on damp, fall days like today.  It's hearty comforting food.  This is a simple recipe with simple ingredients; perfect because I didn't want to spend my day in the kitchen.






1/2 lb. Hominy
3 lb. white potatoes, cubed
2 onions, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 Tbl. minced garlic
2 containers vegetable stock

In medium pot Boil hominy for 2 minutes; let sit for one hour.
Put all ingredients into large stock pot.  Simmer for one hour. 

 Golden Hominy Corn is a new ingredient for me.  I haven't used it before.  I saw it at the grocery today and decided I'd try it.  The kernals soften and become creamy.
I used white potatoes that don't need to be peeled.  
They become very creamy when cooked.




 I forgot to pick up the vegetable stock at the grocery so I used a vegetable soup mix that I had in my pantry.  That's what you see floating in the top of the pot in the above photo.  It turned out very well so either will work for this recipe.
 I used a hand mixer to blend up some of the potatoes.  This makes the chowder thicker.



1 comment:

  1. Can vegan potato hominy chowder be cooked in the instant pot? If so, what would be directions, settings and time?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete