Saturday, October 21, 2017

The Simple Life - Make Me Skinny Chopped Salad

I recently learned about this salad from one of my favorite youtubers; The Butterfly Effect.  She is a spectacular lady who has lost 300 lbs.  She eats salads similar to this every day.

This salad has everything in it that you need in a day of eating.  I divide this into two meals.  It's filling enough that I could eat it for breakfast lunch and dinner, but I just eat a little fruit in the evening and fast through until the next morning.  So this salad gives me two very large meals that contain everything I need.  It's also delicious!  It ticks all my boxes; crunchy, sweet, spicy and hearty.  Here's what's in it:

 I use two things for dressing; hummus and salsa.  I like to make my hummus from scratch so that it's completely fat free.  I put one pound garbanzo beans into my medium sized crock pot and eight cups of water.  Cook them on high for about 4 hours.  Scoop out a cup and put it in a food processor until smooth.  I have a Ninja Fit that I love and use every week.  Add some lemon juice and garlic and blend again until smooth.  I buy my salsa because it's easy to get fat free.  I use a cup of it on the salad.
 You need some starches.  This week I chose a brown rice/wild rice mix.  To that I added two cans of sliced mushrooms.
 I cooked some dry lentils.  This is two cups of lentils cooked in eight cups of water.  I added two onion dry soup mixes.  Once the lentils and rice was cooked I combined them and put a cup of the mixture in my salad.
 The foundation of the salad is one pound of greens.  Today I'm using baby spinach and kale with half a head of lettuce.  I chop this up very well.  Chopping the salad greens make it easier to eat and mix with the other ingredients.
 I put two cups of shredded carrots into my Ninja and processed them down to the minced state.  On top of that I added my cup of homemade hummus.
 Next I add one cup of salsa and 1/4 chopped onion.  I use a medium spicy salsa because it adds some zip to the overall taste of the salad.
 I slice up 1/2 a can of beets and add that.
 This is 1/2 can of chopped hearts of palm.
 This is 1 tablespoon flax seeds.  From now on I will ground them before adding.  I just became aware that is the best way to get the nutrition from them.
 I chopped up three servings of dried pineapple.  It adds sweetness to the salad.  You can add fresh fruit too; go with your favorite.  Next I put on one cup of the bean/rice mixture.  It's creamy and hearty and brings up the salad to a whole other level of goodness.
 Then I just toss everything together until it's all combined.  I divided this into two large servings for my lunch and dinner.




No comments:

Post a Comment